[unixODBC-support] Connection pooling: Use unixODBC built-in or roll my own?

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Fri Dec 18 15:18:11 GMT 2015

Hi folks,

Our project makes use of the unixODBC C API. We currently have a
poorly-implemented version of connection pooling within our application,
and we want to make improvements.

Ideally, we would switch to a model where our application has no
knowledge of connection pooling whatsoever and rely on unixODBC to take
care of it under the hood. However, documentation on the matter is
pretty scarce. The only official document I found refers to a version of
unixODBC released in 2001 and claims that connection pooling "[is] still
in development" [1] . The only other things I found were discussions
about whether the use of connection pooling would be a good fit for the
type of application being used. In our case, connection pooling is
definitely something useful.

I have a few questions about this: First, is the claim of the feature
still being in development true today? Second, does anyone have any
first-hand knowledge, good or bad, about using unixODBC connection pooling?

I've had a look at the source code of unixODBC, and from an "on-paper"
point of view, it looks like a simple solution that we could rely on.
However, when it comes to making fundamental changes like this to our
code, I'd like to have more confidence that we're making the correct move.

Thank you,
Mark Michelson

[1] http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/conn_pool.html