[unixODBC-support] CPReuse

Matt Phipps matt.the.mech at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 22:39:27 GMT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Nick Gorham <nick at lurcher.org> wrote:

>  On 14/03/14 15:59, Matt Phipps wrote:
>
>> I just don't get how this value gets written by the QT GUI, ends up in
>> everyone's configs, but doesn't seem to do anything. Is there something I'm
>> missing?

 Not sure. what you might be missing is that I dont produce any GUI setup
> libs (haven't done for years), so if you have one, I can't say where its
> from, or what settings it adds.

Oh geez, I knew the Ubuntu version was out of date, but this is
ridiculous...yeah, the version I'm using is 2.2.14, hailing from 2008. On a
distro that was released in 2012.

Looks like Debian unstable upgraded their package last October, but the
latest Ubuntu hasn't caught up yet. I've filed a bug report with Ubuntu,
because this is a bit embarrassing :)

Ok, so the Ubuntu package still has the QT GUI in it that was split off
from UnixODBC in 2009. I think: they have a patch that might actually
remove it. In any case, the QT GUI for some reason writes a CPReuse
configuration option, which is not used anywhere in core UnixODBC and
doesn't look like it was *ever* used...it actually looks like it was meant
to have the meaning of CPTimeToLive. Which, as far as I can tell, actually
does something.

Meanwhile, the package has an example odbcinst.ini which has CPReuse in it
for some reason, and CPReuse is in obdcinst.ini's all over the internet, so
I think it's just been copied and pasted continuously without actually
doing anything. I guess that solves the mystery, then :)

That said, do you think you could update the connection pooling page? Right
now it says the feature is "still in development", and it doesn't mention
CPTimeToLive.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and sorry for the confusion!
Matt