[unixODBC-support] isql ( i.e. odbcUNIX Layer ) don't return Data Content

Jens-Peter C. Hillers jph at remoteweb.de
Tue Jul 1 09:47:18 BST 2014

Ok what I expected to get back ?

something like :
----------------
Welcome to the SAP MaxDB interactive terminal.

Type:  \h for help with commands
       \q to quit

sqlcli MAXDB=> select TIMESTAMP FROM DUAL
| EXPRESSION1                |
| -------------------------- |
| 2014-07-01 10:21:58.062480 |
1 row selected (1309 usec)
----------------

I took this simple select to make it easy to track down the Problem
regardless what the real data in the table is.

Querying through the Oracle driver to a differnt server its the same effekt:

----------------
SQL> select SYSDATE FROM DUAL
+--------------------+
| SYSDATE            |
+--------------------+
|                    |
+--------------------+
SQLRowCount returns -1
1 rows fetched
---------------------

Querying "Real"-Tables have the same effekt:

---------------
sqlcli MAXDB=> select * from BFTYP
| BFMTD | NAME                             | WANN
| WER         | STATE |
| ----- | -------------------------------- | --------------------------
| ----------- | ----- |
| F     | DC900 Software                   | 2011-02-17 15:32:36.190803
| ?           | ?     |
| J     | DC910 Software                   | 2012-12-05 15:52:02.858546
| ?           | ?     |
| P     | PEX Software                     | 2012-12-05 15:52:02.512886
| ?           | ?     |
3 rows selected (1865 usec)
----------------

via isql I get:

--------------------
SQL> select * from BFTYP
+------+---------------------------------+---------------------------+------------+------+
| BFMTD| NAME                            | WANN                      |
WER        | STATE|
+------+---------------------------------+---------------------------+------------+------+
|      |                                 |
|            |      |
|      |                                 |
|            |      |
|      |                                 |
|            |      |
+------+---------------------------------+---------------------------+------------+------+
SQLRowCount returns 3
3 rows fetched
----------------------

The SAP Guys told me, that out of the driver trace I Postet in my first
mail one could see that the Data arrives in the Driver but is not fetched.

---------

My real Problem is that all applications that use unixodbc can't access
data ( in my case LibeBASE of LibreOffice )

But I guess if it's runnung in isql it will also do in the other
Apllications.

regars
jph

Out of the Driver trace in my last Mail we could see that thae adte

Am 30.06.2014 20:37, schrieb Nick Gorham:
> On 30/06/14 11:14, Jens-Peter C. Hillers wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have installed unixODBC with the drivers for maxdb AND oracle.
>>
>> in both cases I get the folowing effect :
>>
>> isql -v db01dcw DCW EGAL
>> +---------------------------------------+
>> | Connected!                            |
>> |                                       |
>> | sql-statement                         |
>> | help [tablename]                      |
>> | quit                                  |
>> |                                       |
>> +---------------------------------------+
>> SQL> select TIMESTAMP FROM DUAL
>> +---------------------------+
>> | EXPRESSION1               |
>> +---------------------------+
>> |                           |
>> +---------------------------+
>> SQLRowCount returns 1
>> 1 rows fetched
>> SQL> quit
>
> What would you expect to get back?
>
> unixODBC is not involved in those calls much, its just past from the
> app to the driver, so I suspect whats coming back is not what you expect.
>
> --
> Nick

Remote Web Services GmbH
Jens-Peter C. Hillers