[unixODBC-support] isql - No Connection, no error message, no log file

Nico Grubert nicogrubert at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 13 16:34:37 GMT 2013

Hi there

I am trying to use the "isql" tool to test my ODBC data source.
I have 2 different servers with different OS but with both identical
odbc.ini files and unixODBC versions.

Server A:
Suse Linux Enterprise 10, 64 Bit

Server B:
Cent OS 6

On both machines the command "isql --version" shows: unixODBC 2.2.11

On "Server A" I can connect to the ODBC data source without any problem:

Command:  isql -v my_odbc_data_source myuser mypass
| Connected!                            |
| sql-statement                         |
| help [tablename]                      |
| quit                                  |
SQL>

On "Server B" the same isql command does not work. I get the Linux
prompt back without seeing any error message.
Any idea what might be wrong?

Trying to connect to a non-existing odbc data source results to:
[S1090][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Invalid string or buffer length
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Regards & thanks a lot in advance
Nico