[unixODBC-support] Using Unix ODBC to 32 bits

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Mon Sep 10 07:51:05 BST 2012

On 09/09/12 22:51, Escobar, Antonio wrote:

> Hola Nick,
>
> I had try to use Business Objects to load the Driver because that is
> the goal.
>
> But I got this error on this case:
>
> What I had found out  is:
>
> ·The error is an issue when you mix 32 y 64 bits libs as we are doing.
>
> ·The error is related to libodbc.so.1 and expect VERS_3.52
>
> ·This had been fixed for you guys on UnixODBC Release 2.3.1 as you
> point out on the UnixODBC web page
>
> ·But my Unix Administrator has told to me that He didn't find that
> version available for Linux Red Hat 5.8.1
>
> ·That the last version available for Linux Red Hat 5.8.1 is UnixODBC
> 2.2.11

The problem is (I believe) that BO has been built against a driver
manager that has the version set in the elf header, by default unixODBC
doesnt set this (I think its just a way of trying to lock the app to a
closed source driver manager).

One way to fix this is to edit configure in the unixODBC source build
root and add the folwoing to the end.

sed "/archive_expsym_cmds=/s/{ global/VERS_3.52 {global/" < libtool >
libtool.tmp; mv libtool.tmp libtool

Then run configure and build unixODBC as normal.

You will need to repeat for 64 and 32 bit builds (set CFLAGS to make the
required binary before running configure).

But as you are building from source, you may as well use the current source.

BTW, its not a "fix" as it wasn't broken before, its just an attempt to
allow apps built against different DM's to interoperate as they should
be able to.