[unixODBC-support] Data Source name not found

barsalou barjunk at attglobal.net
Wed Mar 7 19:34:00 GMT 2012

Recently we were using Ubuntu to try and connect to a MSSQL server.

During testing using the isql tool, we found that we could not connect
to the server and were getting this message.

[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified

After quite a bit of time of troubleshooting, we determined that
because of spaces in the odbcinst.ini file, it failed to recognize the
DSN.

[TDS]
  Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
  Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so
  FileUsage = 1

Doesn't work, but

[TDS]
Driver = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsodbc.so
Setup = /usr/lib/odbc/libtdsS.so
FileUsage = 1

Does work.

This seems like a bug...or at least should be mentioned somewhere.

Of course all of the examples show no spaces in front of the lines,
but that doesn't help when it is a not very obvious (at least to me)
issue.

Maybe being new at using unixODBC has caused me to overlook some things.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

If help is needed, please let me know.

Mike B.