[unixODBC-support] help me, unixODBC connection when switching VIP

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue Dec 11 15:23:58 GMT 2012

On 11/12/12 15:10, Dang Minh Huong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using unixODBC for my HA project with following construction.
>
> - 2 PostgreSQL nodes (ACTIVE and STANDBY)
> - the application using unixODBC and access to ACTIVE DB node by a
> Virtual IP adress.
>
> I got a problem when switching over Virtual IP from ACTIVE node to
> STANDBY node.
>
> When my switching process finished (now the Vitual IP is switched to the
> STANDBY)
> the results as follows.
> (1). in the ACTIVE node, connected connection is not disconnected
> (2). connected connection can execute SQL query
> (I have tested with my AP and isql).
>
> I'm actually want to get the disconnection from (1). or an error from (2).
> when the switching process finished. Any body can help me how to setting
> odbc.ini file to get it.
>
> If you know please answer my question about unixODBC connection pool.
> When switched, is there a connection pool setting in order to the connected
> connection on ACTIVE node can execute the next SQL query on the
> STANDBY node.
>
> I'm a new to unixODBC, i'm so sorry if this contents are posted in the past.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
> Dang Minh Huong

It sounds more like a issue for the driver, I think you need something
like the TAF callback that Oracle provides (I know as we added support
for this to the Easysoft driver a few months ago). I don't know if
Postgres has anything similar to alert the calling application that the
connection is nolonger valid.