[unixODBC-support] [08S01][unixODBC][MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver]Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

arkangelboss at gmail.com arkangelboss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:31:43 BST 2011

 Hi all,

I am trying to connect to a MySQL server through an SSH Tunnel. I have tried
to configure odbc.ini as follows

[tpch1]
Description         = Server benchmark tpch1
Driver              = MySQL
Trace               = Yes
TraceFile           = /tmp/tpch.log
Database            = tpch1
Servername          = 127.0.0.1
UserName            = root
Password            = ++++++++
Port                = 3306
ReadOnly            = No
RowVersioning       = No
ShowSystemTables    = No
ShowOidColumn       = No
FakeOidIndex        = No
ConnSettings        =

but when I try to test the connection with isql I receive the error:
[08S01][unixODBC][MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver]Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

My system is Ubuntu 11.04 64bit

Any idea on how to force the connection through TCP/IP and avoid the error?

Thank for your help,
arkangelboss