[unixODBC-support] DBD:ODBC doesn't locate unixODBC odbc.ini

Jean-Roch Grenetier jgrenetier at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 20 17:11:47 BST 2011

Hi,

I've got a working unixODBC <=> freeTDS tandem. Both isql and tsql return data successfully from tests "SELECT * FROM custome WHERE ...."

I've also got a working Perl DBI <=> DBD:ODBC tandem. DBD:ODBC was compiled OK against the unixODBC. Here too, my Perl script returns data successully from a test: "SELECT * FROM customer WHERE ..."  as long as executed with the same Linux user whom I've registered an odbc.ini with the odbcinst command-line utility.
But.. it doesn't find the same DSN if I invoke the same script from a Web page, where it's Apache calling this same script.

So I went back to this documentation http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/FreeTDS.html and focused on:

"Note; we have executed previous commands as root (denoted by leading '#' character on given commands) but here we execute the command as a regular user. This is significant. All users of the system share FreeTDS and the ODBC Drivers but each user has his/her own list of DSN's (view odbcinst output for help on registering as a system DSN available to all users). So create the DSN as the user who is going to be using it. "

$ odbcinst -i -s -f tds.datasource.template

create ODBC data source
and recreated:
$ odbcinst -i -s -f -l tds.datasource.template

What I'm not sure of yet, is if I should recompile DBC:ODBC after this change. I'd think not, because these odbc.ini files need to be dynamically read so that new additions are taken into account without having to touch anything of DBD:ODBC. But so far it still doesn't work:

[unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source (SQL-08001) [state was 08001 now 01000]\n[unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unknown host machine name. (SQL-01000)

Thanks in advance!