[unixODBC-support] Build Support for 64-bit unixODBC 2.3.0 on AIX

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue Jul 26 17:29:48 BST 2011

On 26/07/11 17:22, David Ritter wrote:

> There seems to be a bunch of things going on here.  As far as I can
> tell libtool doesn't support shared libraries on AIX.  I'll chalk this
> up to partially being a libtool problem and partially AIX's weird
> world view of what a shared library is.

Ok, libtool does support shared libs on AIX, there may be a 6.1 problem,
but it should play. Without shared libs and dynamic loading unixODBC is
of very little use.

> Regardless to resolve that one will need to execute configure with
> --disable-shared option and use static libraries/shared archives only.
>
> Additionally I have found that for 64-bit builds configure is not
> correctly characterizing the proper arguments to pass to the ar or nm
> utilities on AIX.  To address this problem the following environment
> variables need to be defined:
>
> AR_FLAGS='-X64 cru'
>
> NM='/usr/ccs/bin/nm -B -X64'

Yes, you certainly need to tell the toolchain if you want 64 or 32 bit
binaries, normally I have found just setting OBJECT_MODE to the required
value before running configure will work just fine.

You may want to add /usr/ccs/bin to your path before running configure,
as it could be the lack of a working nm thats causing your problem.
libltdl is failing to learn how to extract symbols from objects.

I would try unsetting the above values, and try

export OBJECT_MODE=64
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/ccs/bin

then try configure again and see if its any happier.