[unixODBC-support] Build Support for 64-bit unixODBC 2.3.0 on AIX

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue Jul 26 17:06:47 BST 2011

On 26/07/11 15:44, David Ritter wrote:
> Hello,
> I am attempting to build unixODBC 2.3.0 64-bit binaries on AIX 6.1.  I
> am seeing the following linker error and I was wondering if anyone
> else had encountered it and could suggest a workaround or fix:
> libtool: link: xlC_r -Wl,-bM:SRE -o .libs/libodbcinst.so.1
> .libs/ODBCINSTConstructProperties.o .libs/ODBCINSTDestructProperties.o
> .libs/ODBCINSTSetProperty.o .libs/ODBCINSTValidateProperties.o
> .libs/ODBCINSTValidateProperty.o .libs/SQLConfigDataSource.o
> .libs/SQLConfigDriver.o .libs/SQLCreateDataSource.o
> .libs/SQLGetAvailableDrivers.o .libs/SQLGetConfigMode.o
> .libs/SQLGetInstalledDrivers.o .libs/SQLGetPrivateProfileString.o
> .libs/SQLGetTranslator.o .libs/SQLInstallDriverEx.o
> .libs/SQLInstallDriverManager.o .libs/SQLInstallTranslatorEx.o
> .libs/SQLInstallerError.o .libs/SQLManageDataSources.o
> .libs/SQLPostInstallerError.o .libs/SQLReadFileDSN.o
> .libs/SQLRemoveDSNFromIni.o .libs/SQLRemoveDriver.o
> .libs/SQLRemoveDriverManager.o .libs/SQLRemoveTranslator.o
> .libs/SQLSetConfigMode.o .libs/SQLValidDSN.o .libs/SQLWriteDSNToIni.o
> .libs/SQLWriteFileDSN.o .libs/SQLWritePrivateProfileString.o
> .libs/SQLInstallODBC.o .libs/_logging.o
> .libs/_odbcinst_ConfigModeINI.o .libs/_odbcinst_UserINI.o
> .libs/_odbcinst_SystemINI.o .libs/_odbcinst_GetSections.o
> .libs/_odbcinst_GetEntries.o .libs/_SQLGetInstalledDrivers.o
> .libs/_SQLWriteInstalledDrivers.o .libs/_SQLDriverConnectPrompt.o
> ../ini/.libs/libinilc.a ../log/.libs/libloglc.a
> ../lst/.libs/liblstlc.a ../libltdl/.libs/libltdlc.a  -lpthread -lc
> -Wl,-bnoentry  -q64   -Wl,-bE:./odbcinst.exp -Wl,-bernotok
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: lt_libltdlc_LTX_preloaded_symbols
> Clearly there is some symbol that the linker wants that is not being
> provided by libltdl, but as far as I can see it is defined in the
> libldtl headers.
I think there is a conflict with libtool somewhere. I have had the same
problem building for some embedded targets. One quick workaround is to
remove the extern from the definition in libltdl/ltdl.c but I think the
real cause (or at least it is in my case) is that configure for libltdl
fails to find how to extract symbols from a object file.

What does the libltdl config report?