[unixODBC-support] RE : How to connect from ACT! to remote MySQL?

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Sat Apr 16 08:14:47 BST 2011

Jim,

ODBC is a database api that is used by the Application+ODBC Driver Manager
to connect to a database. The api is a plain C interface, not DCOM or Corba
or other remote connection type of API. So if you want to connect through
ODBC to a database from a windows application, you'll need a windows ODBC
driver for your database. In your case that will be the MySQL Connector/ODBC
for Windows. And you'll need to use the ODBC Database Administrator to
define a datasource to connect to. There you will specify your remote MySQL
database. That is on the MySQL link protocol level, not the ODBC datasource
you created on the server. Don't forget to check your MySQL server
configuration for remote access: mysql.ini and user permissions.

So, no worry, nothing wrong with unixODBC ;)

Ludo