[unixODBC-support] can not connect through php

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue May 4 18:11:31 BST 2010

jwan at ea.ucla.edu wrote:
> Hi Nick
>
> again, who is using what encoding?  the "client-side data" above does
> it refer to the SQL server data ? or something eles?
That I don't know, tsql is part of freeTDS not unixODBC.

> 2) when I run isql, in the log it said
> User Name = [xxx][length = 6 (SQL_NTS)]
>                         Authentication = [********][length = 8 (SQL_NTS)]
> UNICODE Using encoding ASCII 'ISO8859-1' and UNICODE 'UCS-2LE'
>
> again, what does this mean? who is using UNICODE?

It means that if the driver manager needs to convert from ASCII data for
example in SQLPrepare(), to UNICODE to pass for example to a driver that
only supports the wide interface SQLPrepareW the driver will use iconv
to convert between ISO8859-1 and UCS-2LE. If you are just using the
normal functions (not W) to a driver that supports the normal functions
then the conversion never takes place and the character sets are not
involved.