[unixODBC-support] How to develop drivers

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Fri Mar 26 22:43:11 GMT 2010

Inge Eivind Henriksen wrote:
> I am porting a Windows ODBC driver using unixodbc driver, so far I have looked at other drivers to figure out what is going on, is there a manual for driver developers?

The nearest I know of was the two volume ODBC manual from MS. Niw our of
print, most is in the MSDN API docs.

But basically all there is are the API docs, the contents of the drivers
are left up to the writer,

I would look at the available open drivers for some ideas. We (Easysoft)
use the same source base for our drives on all the supported platforms
(Windows + various *nix) so its perfectly possible to write a portable
driver. Unfortunately that doesn't mean a existing windows driver will
be easy to port, it all depends on how windows centric the code is.