[unixODBC-support] ODBC TIMING-OUT ISSUE

Lazghab Souheil Souheil.Lazghab at edb.com
Thu Mar 25 07:28:12 GMT 2010

Hi,

I am using ODBC to make some processes communicate with identical ORACLE bases with identical schemas which are located in different AIX virtual portions through network.

These processes reads from the original oracle base and write  to its clone one which should be located on a remote AIX portion.

This ODBC was recommended to us because it will make us able to run different process against different database storage platforms at any time. At the moment we are running only a single process at our ORACLE environments

I am experiencing a timing out issue when the ODBC-DRIVER sends DELETING SQL statement against large tables (talking here about tables with 30 million records) during its updating routines at the cloned ORACLE base. As a consequence the next SQL statement defined at our process won't be executed because the ODBC driver had  timed out due to the large processing time.

This timing out issue was due to that the ORACLE environment at theses servers huge time to execute the DELET statement.

We are looking for a way how we can configure the ODBC to extend its STAND BY time during executing theses large SQL statements.

As far as I know the only possible value that we can extend here as it was described in your website is the CPTimeout defined at the odbcinst.ini file located under: /opt/unixodbc/etc
[ODBC]
Trace       = No
Trace File      = /tmp/sql.log
Pooling = Yes

[INTERBASE-P]
Description     = Easysoft Driver for Interbase
Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libib6odbc.so
Setup           = /usr/local/lib/libib6odbcS.so
FileUsage       = 1
DontDLClose     = 1
CPTimeout       = 120

[INTERBASE]
Description     = Easysoft Driver for Interbase
Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libib6odbc.so
Setup           = /usr/local/lib/libib6odbcS.so
FileUsage       = 1
DontDLClose     = 1
CPTimeout       = 0

Can you help me with this issue?

Best Regards
Souheil Lazghab
System Consultant

EDB Business Partner Norge AS
Telefon: 22 52 80 80, Mobile: +47 90 69 66 40
E-post: Souheil.Lazghab at edb.com<mailto:Souheil.Lazghab at edb.com>
www.edb.com<http://www.edb.com/>

"EDB - En sterk og nær IT-partner