[unixODBC-support] Firebird 2.1 ODBC Numeric and Date fields.

Steve Cookson steve.cookson at sca-uk.com
Wed Mar 24 18:12:54 GMT 2010

Hi People,

In the end I gave up using ODBC for my Firebird 2.1 connection because I
couldn't get the DATE or number formats to work.  Instead I used the
DBI::Interbase driver, while it works, it is subject to occasional crashes,
so I'd like to go back to trying ODBC.

My current problem is that if I use isql on employee.fbd, (eg select first 1
change_date from salary_history), I get:

1992-12-15 00:00:00. (Data type timestamp)

if I use it on my own database, (eg select first 1
att_patient_examination_ddt from tbl_patient_exam), I get:

22256-10-18.  (Data type date)

Any ideas what I could do?

Well, actually, writing that last bit has helped.  If I change from a DATE
data type to a TIMESTAMP, it seems to work, but now I need to check time
fields and number fields.  Surely the DATE format should work?  What do I
need to do to fix this (NB Flamerobin has no such problems on the same
field)?

Regards

Steve

The odbcinst.ini file entry is:

[Firebird]
Description		= Firebird/InterBase(r) driver
Driver		= /usr/lib/libOdbcFb.so
Setup		= /usr/lib/libOdbcFb.so
UsageCount		= 2

The odbc.ini file entries are:

[END_DB]
Description = Firebird
Driver = Firebird
Dbname = localhost:/home/steve/Documents/Endoscopia/DB/ENDOSCOPIA.FDB
Client          =
User = SYSDBA
Password = masterkey
Role            =
CharacterSet    = NONE
ReadOnly        = No
NoWait          = No
Dialect         = 3
QuotedIdentifier        = Yes
SensitiveIdentifier     = No
AutoQuotedIdentifier    = No

[Employee]
Description = Firebird
Driver = Firebird
Dbname = localhost:/home/steve/Documents/employee.fdb
Client          =
User = SYSDBA
Password = masterkey
Role            =