[unixODBC-support] unixODBC / RODBC Trouble

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Sat Jul 24 10:14:44 BST 2010

Michael Wesolowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get RODBC setup, and the trouble is that a connection
> can't be established because my odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files are
> not being read correctly. I know I have the right template and I've
> filled in the driver paths right (and that the driver .so files have
> their execute bits set).
>
> When I use ODBCConfig to try and sort it out, I get yet another error
> in my terminal:
> Session management error: None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported
>
> The GUI still pops up, but when I try to create a DSN, I get an error:
> could not construct property list for (PostgreSQL)

Hi,

I would ignore the GUI setup, and just edit the ini files by hand. there
are docs about this, but for postgres something like this should work.

odbcinst.ini

[PostgreSQL]
Description             = ODBC for PostgreSQL
Driver          = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
FileUsage               = 1

odbc.ini

[DSN]
Description             = Test DB
Driver          = PostgreSQL
Trace           = No
TraceFile               =
Database                = default
Servername              = localhost
UserName                = postgres
Port            = 5432
ReadOnly                = No
RowVersioning           = No
ShowSystemTables                = No
ShowOidColumn           = No
FakeOidIndex            = No
ConnSettings            =

BTW, the driver won't work as a setup lib unless the writers made it do so.