[unixODBC-support] I need unixODBC 64bit version

Tacho tachoymu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 19:17:58 BST 2010

Hi everbody,

I'm having problems trying to connecto from Oracle to MS SQL Server, once
the unixODBC and freeTDS has been installed, configured and tested
successfully.
But when I want to make a connection from SQL*plus using a select statement
the following error is issued:

*Failed to load ODBC library symbol:
/usr/local/lib/libodbc.so.1(SQLAllocHandle)
*
I have been working with Oracle Support and they determined that the problem
is that libodbc.so.1 is 32bit version.

My Oracle software is 64bit as well as the dg4odbc, as we can see below:

# file $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
oracle: 64-bit XCOFF executable or object module not stripped

# file $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dg4odbc
dg4odbc: 64-bit XCOFF executable or object module not stripped

but when the file command is used in libodbc.so.1, it is not showing a 64bit
version, it is saying that is 32bit:

file /usr/local/lib/libodbc.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libodbc.so.1: executable (RISC System/6000) or object module
not stripped

By default, if a version is not shown when file command is run, then the
executable is 32bit (according to 225551.1 doc )

Here is a list telling if 32bit or 64bit is installed on my server:

*APLICATION*
see above (oracle and dg4odbc executables)

*KERNEL*
ls -l /unix
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     system           21 Feb 05 2009  /unix ->
/usr/lib/boot/unix_64

*HARDWARE*

# getconf HARDWARE_BITMODE
64

*KERNEL*
# getconf KERNEL_BITMODE
64

*OPERATING SYSTEM*
lslpp -l bos.64bit
  Fileset                      Level  State      Description

  bos.64bit                  5.3.9.0  COMMITTED  Base Operating System 64
bit
                                                 Runtime

  bos.64bit                  5.3.9.0  COMMITTED  Base Operating System 64
bit
                                                 Runtime

Please need your help to build unixODBC into a 64bit version.

Thanks in advance.

Tacho.