[unixODBC-support] unixODBC configuration for Informix DB connection

Marshall_Hahn-Taylor at canb.uscourts.gov Marshall_Hahn-Taylor at canb.uscourts.gov
Thu Jan 28 00:25:48 GMT 2010

Hello,

I've gotten a connection working between one host and a database server
using
a tool from the IBM clientsdk for Informix called `isql'.  Brace yourselves
for
a newbie question... b/c this connection is working, I'm assuming unixODBC
(v. 2.2.14)
is working on my system, no?  I made myriad tweaks to my odbc.ini and
sqlhosts file
and I still feel like I don't really understand them.  They currently look
like:

/etc/sqlhosts:

 maindb                  onsoctcp        maindb          port_alias
 main_shm                onsoctcp        maindb          port_alias
 demo_se seipcpip        se_hostname     sqlexec

Where port_alias is 7101 in /etc/services.

/etc/odbc.ini:

 [lots of seemingly unrelated stuff above this]
 [ODBC]
 IANAAppCodePage=4
 InstallDir=/usr/local/bobje/bobje/enterprise115/linux_x86/odbc
 Trace=1
 TraceFile=odbctrace.out

TraceDll=/usr/local/bobje/bobje/enterprise115/linux_x86/odbc/lib/odbctrac.so

 [Informix]

#Driver=/usr/local/bobje/bobje/enterprise115/linux_x86/odbc/lib/CRifcl23.so
 #Driver=/usr/lib/libodbc.so.1
 Driver=/opt/informix/lib/cli/iclit09b.so
 Description=HP G6 running Informix Database
 IpAddress=192.168.47.226
 HostName=192.168.47.226
 #Server=maindb
 Server=main_shm
 TcpPort=7101
 Service=7101
 #Database=main_live at main_ecf
 Database=main_live
 LogonId=crystal
 Password=password

isql appears to work well, but I'd really like to get SAP's Crystal
Reports on Business Objects working with unixODBC.  Currently Xtal
Reports reports that are run using known good queries for known good
DSN's fail complaining that they `failed to load database information'.
Yes, I know this isn't an SAP forum.  I'm hoping that if I figure out
exactly what needs to be in my odbc.ini and sqlhosts, that Xtal Rpts
will start working.  I feel like odbc.ini is currently a confused mass
of configuration directives.  Maybe if I describe what I'm trying to
do, then someone could tell me what needs to be under the [Informix]
section.  I'd like to connect to an Informix database on host `maindb'.
It's listening on port 7101 for db connections.  The database is called
main_live at main_ecf according to output from Informix's dbaccess utility.
Part of what is really confusing to me is that in Informix-ese, the db
server is `main_shm', not `maindb' (it's hostname), and a database can't
have a simple name like `mydb', it's got to be mydb at main_foo.

Suggestion as to how I should tailor odbc.ini and test unixODBC from the
command line would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Marshall