[unixODBC-support] how to connect to oracle xe?

Ken Resander kresander at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 12:43:40 GMT 2010

Hi GianLuca,

I managed to get Oracle XE working with unixODBC about 8 months ago. It was not easy. The Oracle driver documentation is very poor and incomplete.

A few days ago I posted on this mailing giving all information that helped me get Oracle XE up and working. Before continuing your Google search try the ini files below, if you have not already done so:

/etc/odbcinst.ini
[OracleExpressdrv]
Driver = /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/lib/libsqora.so.10.1
Description = Oracle 10g express driver

/etc/odbc.ini
[TestDBDSN]
Application Attributes = T
Attributes = W
BatchAutocommitMode = IfAllSuccessful
CloseCursor = F
DisableDPM = F
DisableMTS = T
Driver = OracleExpressdrv
DSN = TestDBDSN
EXECSchemaOpt =
EXECSyntax = T
Failover = T
FailoverDelay = 10
FailoverRetryCount = 10
FetchBufferSize = 64000
ForceWCHAR = F
Lobs = T
Longs = T
MetadataIdDefault = F
QueryTimeout = T
ResultSets = T
# ServerName is TNS_alias_from_tnsnames.ora
ServerName = XE
SQLGetData extensions = F
Translation DLL =
Translation Option = 0
UserID = hr

You may also need to put this or parts of this in your startup file:

ODBCINI=/etc/odbc.ini;export ODBCINI
ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0;export ORACLE_HOME
TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/server/network/admin;export TNS_ADMIN
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The main problem that stopped me connecting was that Oracle had changed the install directory structure (undocumented?). I discovered by trial and error that ORACLE_HOME has to be:

ORACLE_HOME = /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server

not

ORACLE_HOME = /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0

which is shown in dozens of pages on the Internet going back many years.

Hope this works for you.

Ken

P.S. I stopped using the GUI tools a long time ago. It is a lot easier just to type in the ini sections as text files. Don't remember which one(s), but some GUI tool(s) are buggy and cannot generate complete and correct text files.