[unixODBC-support] how to connect to oracle xe?

GianLuca Sarto glsarto at tiscali.it
Sat Jan 2 10:35:23 GMT 2010

Nick Gorham wrote:
> GianLuca Sarto wrote:
>> Nick Gorham wrote:

>>> Should be documented with the driver.
>>>
>> it should, but it is not.
>>
>> I'm asking what are the UnixOdbc requirements in the ini files.
>>
>> If I'm OT or on the wrong list please forgive me.
> It fine asking, I just don't know the full answer :-)
>
> All unixODBC needs is a [DSN] section in the odbc.ini file that
> contains a
>
> Driver = NameofDriver
>
> That refers to a [NameofDriver] section on odbcinst.ini that contains a
>
> Driver = /path/to/the/driver/libdriver.so
>
> All the other entries are up to the driver. Thats why it needs info
> from the driver. I would expect there wil be a sample ini setup
> somewhere in the docs, it would be a mistake assuming that everyone
> can use (or wants to use) the GUI tools.

it's fine for me to use the command line, but reading unixODBC docs I found:
*NOTE: odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini are considered to be ODBC System
Information. All access (read or write) to this System Information
should occur via the Driver Manager or the ODBCINST
<http://www.unixodbc.org/utilities.html> share library. Do not access
these INI files directly!

*That's why I tried ODBCConfig.

I 'll go on googling...