[unixODBC-support] how to connect to oracle xe?

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Sat Jan 2 10:05:55 GMT 2010

GianLuca Sarto wrote:
> Nick Gorham wrote:
>> GianLuca Sarto wrote:

>>> How should I edit my ini files? are there any required entries I
>>> should add?
>> Should be documented with the driver.
>>
> it should, but it is not.
>
> I'm asking what are the UnixOdbc requirements in the ini files.
>
> If I'm OT or on the wrong list please forgive me.
It fine asking, I just don't know the full answer :-)

All unixODBC needs is a [DSN] section in the odbc.ini file that contains a

Driver = NameofDriver

That refers to a [NameofDriver] section on odbcinst.ini that contains a

Driver = /path/to/the/driver/libdriver.so

All the other entries are up to the driver. Thats why it needs info from
the driver. I would expect there wil be a sample ini setup somewhere in
the docs, it would be a mistake assuming that everyone can use (or wants
to use) the GUI tools.