[unixODBC-support] Odbc.ini

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Fri Sep 11 17:29:35 BST 2009

Tran Hung-Phu-R50825 wrote:

> Currently I am having problem with unixODBC truncates the odbc.ini,
> To prevent it, I've changed the ini file permission to read-only so that
> the Driver Manger won't empty the ini file. I am
> wonder what will happen to the connection if the unixodbc Driver
> Manager try to overwrite the ini file and failed.  Will the
> connection still exist?  If yes, How about DSN from the ini file? Will
> they be available or empty? If no, is there a variable setting such as
> ConnectionRetryCount that I can use in .ini file to force retry
> connection
> to database a couple of times before quit.

The ini delete problem was caused by the check for the file existing
failing (normally due to running out of file handles), so the code
thinks the file doesn;t exist and so creates a empty one. I thought we
had fixed this, though I will check.

Its not a fix for it being deleted, but the reason its happening
(assuming its the same problem) is your system is running out of
resources, so if you fix that problem the issue should go away.