[unixODBC-support] Antw: Re: unixODBC SLES / OpenSuSE Oracle ODBC

Keehan Mallon keehan_mallon at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 18:47:28 BST 2009

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?  32-bit should work, but as Nick states, skip the GUI.  For 64-bit the situation is much more complex.

I have not found a way to use 64-bit Oracle ODBC with Linux.  From what I can put together, there is a bug in the Oracle 10.2 ODBC driver and it is "not supported" from the Oracle side which apparently means Oracle won't fix it.  You can connect to the database, but all queries fail (http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=59110&tstart=5&messageID=2134631).

The bug has been worked around by unixODBC, but in the 2.2.15 branch (again, from what I can tell) and this has not been released.  You should be able to get it from the repository, but I am trying to stick with SUSE rpms which there are none for 2.2.15.  I can compile from source, but I like keeping as stock as possible for upgrade/etc purposes.

Version 11.x Oracle is even more strange.  32-bit is just fine, but the 64-bit instant client no longer has an ODBC supplement at all.  I guess I could always spend the ~$1000 to buy the Easysoft driver, but I'm afraid I am going to have to go back to 32-bit to get Oracle supported ODBC.  It is unfortunate because at this point, I have everything else running 64-bit (FreeTDS (SQL Server client), MySQL, Teradata, unixODBC, perl, perl-dbi, etc).

Am I missing something?

Keehan