[unixODBC-support] ODBC driver manager PATH

Martin Evans martin.evans at easysoft.com
Mon Oct 19 10:29:18 BST 2009

Nick Gorham wrote:
> Steve Cookson wrote:
>>> Did you check for the driver manager libraries under /usr/local/lib  ?
>>>

>> Hi Hemanth,
>>
>> Thanks for this.  When I look  there I only find perl and python2.6
>> directories and nothing else, no other directories of files.
>>
>> Even if I do a full search for odbc_config I find nothing.
>>
> odbc_config may not exist in the version installed, it was added last
> release or so. Martin should be along on Monday if not before, he can
> help (He maintains DBD::ODBC).

I think this may be the same issue as on perl monks at
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=801871 where I have answered.
DBD::ODBC does not /need/ odbc_config on 32bit platforms but prefers it
and on 64bit platforms it is hit and miss without odbc_config (as there
is no way of knowing how long SQLULEN is). From the description on perl
monks you looked like you had unixodbc libraries installed but not the
development package (unixodbc-dev) which includes the header files.

BTW, DBD::ODBC dies with the following message if odbc_config is found
but not the libraries:

die "That's odd, I can't see any unixodbc libs in $odbchome." .
    "This is all I found:\n" . join(q{,}, @libs) . "\n" .
    "Perhaps you need to install the unixODBC development " .
    "package, often called unixodbc-dev.";

which is a bit topsy turvey so I've changed that so someone in your
situation should be directed at installing the development package.

Your problem seems to have moved on past this now to data source not
found. To diagnose that we'd need to see odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini file
contents and a verification that the driver listed in odbcinst.ini exists.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Easysoft Limited