[unixODBC-support] unixODBC --> DB2 issue

Frank Pani fpani0 at ca.ibm.com
Thu Nov 19 18:09:38 GMT 2009

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if somebody could help shed some light.   I'm trying to use
unixODBC (unixODBC-2.2.11-21.4) to connect to a DB2 database; however, I am
getting the following error.

linuxvm2:/home/db2inst1 # isql -v GSMRTHST fpani0 <password>
[IM005][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_DBC
failed
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I can confirm that I can connect to the DB2 database no problem from
command line and have followed instructions for DB2 posted on the unixODBC
site, but to no previal.  In other newsgroups postings, I see issues
between 32 and 64 bit versions; however I can confirm that I am using 64
bit of DB2 and unixODBC.

My very simple ini files follow.   Could somebody suggest some things to
check?  Once I get this working, I'll happy to make suggested changes to
the documentation on unixODBC.   Thanks.

/etc/odbc.ini -->
[GSMRTHST]
Description     = IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER
Driver          = DB2

odbcinst.ini -->
[DB2]
Description             = IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER
Driver          = /home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib/libdb2.so
FileUsage               = 1
DontDLClose             = 1
UsageCount              = 4

[ODBC]
Trace           = yes
Tracefile               = /tmp/odbctrace.log
UsageCount              = 4