[unixODBC-support] Cannot use unixODBC 2.2.14 with MySQL ODBC connector 5.1

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue May 26 07:51:43 BST 2009

Itachi Uchiha wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to unixODBC and I had a problem when I tried to use it with
> the MySQL ODBC driver.
>
> Although I managed to connect to a MySQL database using unixODBC
> 2.2.11 and MySQL driver 3.51, I could not do the same thing with
> unixODBC 2.2.14 and MySQL driver 5.1. (My OS is Ubuntu 8.04)
>
> Here are the steps I did to install and setup them, and the error I got:
>
> - I first Installed unixODBC 2.2.14 from source. (configure with
> --enable-gui=no and --enable-stats=no)
> - I then Installed MySQL ODBC driver 5.1 (from the package
> mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.5-linux-x86-32bit.tar.gz). I just copied the
> libraries to /usr/lib and then registered the driver with unixODBC
> using myodbc-installer. These 2 process were successful.
> - I then started the MySQL server (version 5.0.51) (I logged in as
> root) and created a database. After that I used myodbc-installer to
> create a DSN for the database. This process was successful too.
> - Finally I tried to connect to the database using isql, but I got the
> error: "segmentation fault"
>
> Could you please tell me where the problem is and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Itachi

Well, I can't say from the description. I would try setting ODBCINI to
the location of your odbc.ini file I don;t know if that MySQL is built
with unixODBC support so it may be trying to read its own ini file.
Other than that, I would guess its a question for the MySQL folk as
well. Is there any MySQL logging you can turn on?