[unixODBC-support] How to connect to Oracle Express via unixODBC?

Ken Resander kresander at yahoo.com
Thu May 7 15:16:55 BST 2009

I am moving ODBC-dependent code from Windows to Ubuntu 8.10. All software has recompiled ok and the unixODBC interfaces work for DB2 Express 9.5, Mimer SQL and MySQL, but not yet for for Oracle Express 10g and SQL Anywhere.
I posted the question 'How to use unixODBC with Oracle Express on Ubuntu 8.10?' on Oracle's Linux forum a couple days ago, but have not received any response.

I am posting in this forum hoping for better luck.

Here is the Oracle Linux forum post:

++++ post starts +++
I downloaded Oracle Express a couple of days ago, so I am totally new to Oracle.

I tried connecting via unixODBC, using dsn=oracledsn, user=dba, password=abcd and received error info:

1: st=01000, nerr=0, msg=
[unixODBC][Driver Manager] Can't open lib '/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/lib/libsqora.so.10.1' : file not found

but the shared 'so' library actually does exist at the path above. I also set
ODBCINI=/etc/odbc.ini;export ODBCINI and immediately checked it was in the environment.

The .ini files are:

/etc/odbcinst.ini

[OracleExpressdrv]
Driver = /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/lib/libsqora.so.10.1
Description = Oracle 10g express driver

/etc/odbc.ini

[ODBC Data Sources]
oracledsn = Oracle Express DSN

[oracledsn]
Driver = OracleExpressdrv

After hours of googling I have not been able to find how to connect via unixODBC to a local (on my PC) Oracle Express.

Advice would be most welcome.
+++ post ends ++++

Best regards
Ken Resander