[unixODBC-support] basic config questions

Rick Schumeyer rschumeyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:09:51 GMT 2009

I think I've made some progress, but I'm still not there.  The big
change was removing the spaces or tabs at the beginning of each line.

My current config values are below.

Question 1: does the "Server" value in odbc.ini  refer to the machine
on which the database resides, or does it refer to an entry in
freetds.conf?  Because I've tried both ways, and neither works,
although I get slightly different error messages.

Question 2: should I specify the username/password in odbc.ini?  I'm
not positive I had the correct syntax for that.  (I tried including
that, but that didn't seem to help.)

My error message is now ("Server" refers to entry in freetds.conf):
[rick at buster etc]$ isql -v sqlserver my_user my_password
[S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

if I change "Server" to be the network name of the SQL Server machine:
[rick at buster etc]$ isql -v sqlserver
[S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
[08S01][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect: Adaptive
Server is unavailable or does not exist
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
[sqlserver]
Driver          = FreeTDS
Description     = ODBC connection via FreeTDS
Trace           = No
Server          = eeyoredb
Database        = tracker
TDS_Version     = 8.0
/usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
[FreeTDS]
Description     = TDS driver (Sybase/MS SQL)
Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
/usr/local/etc/freetds.conf