[unixODBC-support] basic config questions

Martin J. Evans martin.evans at easysoft.com
Fri Mar 27 19:43:32 GMT 2009

Rick Schumeyer wrote:
> I configured FreeTDS with:
> ./configure -with-unixodbc=/usr/local

When you did this did configure find unixODBC? Look for it in the
configure output.

Is /usr/local/lib on the dynamic linker search path? and as this is
centos, don't you have to by default tell the system particular shared
objects are allowed to be used - don't use centos myself but I have a
vague recollection of someone else having problems with this.

what does odbcinst -j output.

e.g., on my system it says:

martin at asus:~$ odbcinst -j
unixODBC 2.2.11
DRIVERS............: /etc/odbcinst.ini
SYSTEM DATA SOURCES: /etc/odbc.ini
USER DATA SOURCES..: /home/martin/.odbc.ini

showing where the default config files and my personal datasources are
stored. These should be the files where you have added your driver and
data source. If you built unixODBC yourself without setting the config
dir it will default to /usr/local/etc so don't be surprised if your
output shows that.

odbcinst  --version
unixODBC 2.2.11

This is the stock unixODBC that comes with the latest Linux Ubuntu.

For me I have:

/etc/odbcinst.ini
[FreeTDS8]
Driver          = /home/martin/freetds_0_82/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Description             = 0.82 version of freetds

You don't need anymore than that. I installed freetds 0.82 manually in
the dir above. I would not bother with "Setup" - GUI configuration is
tricky at best and manual editing of files is easy.

In my /etc/odbc.ini I have

[freetds8]
Driver = FreeTDS8
Description     = connection to RS machine
Trace           = No
Server          = 192.168.250.71
TDS_Version     = 7.0

That is also the minimum.

I would comment out all the stuff in freetds.conf - especially:

# A typical Microsoft server
[eeyoredb]
         host = eeyore
         port = 1433
         tds version = 8.0

and remove extraneous spaces from the odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini file
(don't think this matters now but it has in the past). Are the
odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini files readable by the user running isql?

If all that still gets you nowhere then as Nick says you need to run
strace on isql and see what files are being opened in which case you are
pretty much on your own. Of course you could always download the
easysoft sql server driver from www.easysoft.com - it works with
unixODBC "out of the box" :-)

Martin