[unixODBC-support] basic config questions

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Fri Mar 27 17:31:44 GMT 2009

Rick Schumeyer wrote:

>I'm trying to (eventually) connect a ruby-on-rails program to SQL
>Server.  I'm running CentOS 5.2.  I installed unixODBC and FreeTDS
>from source in the default location (/usr/local).
>
>The FreeTDS part seems to be working.  The command "tsql -S eeyoredb
>-U xxx -P xxx" is successful.
>
>But I cannot get the unixODBC part to work.  I always get
>"Data source name not found, and no default driver specified"
>
>I have tried many things suggested by several google searches, but no success.
>
>Can I create the odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files in /usr/local/etc
>using a text editor?  Or do I need to use the odbcinst program?  (I'm
>not really sure what that does)

Yep, they are just text files. I always just edit them by hand.

>The current state of my odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files are below.
>
>Then I try isql:
>
>[rick at buster ~]$ isql -v sqlserver
>[IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no
>default driver specified
>[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>
>I'm really lost.

I would check that its expecting odbc.ini to be there. Try setting

ODBCSYSINI=/usr/local/etc
export ODBCSYSINI

to make sure.

Other than that it looks ok, you could check the driver can be loaded

dltest usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so SQLConnect