[unixODBC-support] basic config questions

Rick Schumeyer rschumeyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:23:56 GMT 2009

I'm trying to (eventually) connect a ruby-on-rails program to SQL
Server.  I'm running CentOS 5.2.  I installed unixODBC and FreeTDS
from source in the default location (/usr/local).

The FreeTDS part seems to be working.  The command "tsql -S eeyoredb
-U xxx -P xxx" is successful.

But I cannot get the unixODBC part to work.  I always get
"Data source name not found, and no default driver specified"

I have tried many things suggested by several google searches, but no success.

Can I create the odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files in /usr/local/etc
using a text editor?  Or do I need to use the odbcinst program?  (I'm
not really sure what that does)

The current state of my odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files are below.

Then I try isql:

[rick at buster ~]$ isql -v sqlserver
[IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no
default driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I'm really lost.

I checked, and the shared library files are really in /usr/local/lib.

/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
[sqlserver]
      Driver          = FreeTDS
      Description     = ODBC connection via FreeTDS
      Trace           = No
      Server          = 192.168.1.4
      Database        = tracker
/usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
[FreeTDS]
     Description     = TDS driver (Sybase/MS SQL)
     Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so
     Setup           = /usr/local/lib/libtdsS.so
     FileUsage       = 1
/usr/local/etc/freetds.conf
[global]
        # TDS protocol version
;       tds version = 4.2

        # Whether to write a TDSDUMP file for diagnostic purposes
        # (setting this to /tmp is insecure on a multi-user system)
;       dump file = /tmp/freetds.log
;       debug flags = 0xffff

        # Command and connection timeouts
;       timeout = 10
;       connect timeout = 10

        # If you get out-of-memory errors, it may mean that your client
        # is trying to allocate a huge buffer for a TEXT field.
        # Try setting 'text size' to a more reasonable limit
        text size = 64512

# A typical Microsoft server
[eeyoredb]
        host = eeyore