[unixODBC-support] unixODBC to run BO XI 3.1

Edward Berwick eberwick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 14:20:07 GMT 2009

I've been rying to get my unixODBC up and running for the last week.

I'm following some Business Objects official documentation on how to install
configure the unixODBC. Due to versioning etc. I'm, never gonna get an exact
match between my work and that described step by step in the document.

The first divergence from the process was when I was instructed to

# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/unixODBC --enable-gui=No

I could not run this statement with the option "--enable-gui=No", likewise
it did not work for "--enable-gui=Yes". I had to remove it altogether before
being able to run the configure command. I don't know whether this will have
much of a bearing further down the track (any obvious foobar's please let me
know).

anyway I go on to do the
# make
and
# make install

okay then copy my resultant lib filesto the lib folder in the BO lib folder
making sure they're still executable (which they are).

I then install the MySQL connector/ODBC drivers.. Now this is weird. I
must've ran the rpm ages ago since when I try and run it again it comes back
with 'already installed',
*[root at moran bobje]# rpm -i mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.5-0.i386.rpm
        package mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.5-0 is already installed

*which is OK,...However, there should also be a bin and lib folder created
in the folder mysql-odbc

*[root at moran mysql-odbc]# ls
ChangeLog  INSTALL  LICENSE.exceptions  LICENSE.gpl  README  README.debug*

It's these libs that should have been created here that I should be pointing
my Driver at in my odbc.ini file.

MORE INFO : (may have a bearing - Let me know if I can clarify it for you
further - THANKS!

libmyodbc5.so was the latest .so file created during the make, and no
'libmyodbc3_r.so' was created during the make of the unixODBC-2.2.14.tar.gz
file

Here's what was created and copied to this lib folder :
[eberwick at moran lib]$ ls -l
total 9056
-rwxr-xr-x 1 eberwick eberwick 6584012 Aug 18 18:25 libmyodbc3S-5.1.5.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 eberwick eberwick    1136 Aug 18 18:25 libmyodbc3S.la
*lrwxrwxrwx 1 eberwick eberwick      20 Jan  9 15:00 libmyodbc3S.so ->
libmyodbc3S-5.1.5.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 eberwick eberwick 2658805 Aug 18 18:25 libmyodbc5-5.1.5.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 eberwick eberwick    1046 Aug 18 18:25 libmyodbc5.la
*lrwxrwxrwx 1 eberwick eberwick      19 Jan  9 15:00 libmyodbc5.so ->
libmyodbc5-5.1.5.so*

*...from my odbc.ini file

[ODBC Data Sources]
CRSQLServerWP=DataDirect 5.3 SQLServer Wire Protocol Driver
CRSybaseWP=DataDirect 5.3 Sybase Wire Protocol Driver
CRText=DataDirect 5.3 Text Driver
BOE120_AUDIT=auditor
%SYBASEDSN%=DataDirect 5.3 Sybase Wire Protocol Driver

[BOE120_AUDIT]
Driver=/home/eberwick/Desktop/bobje/mysql-odbc*/lib/libmyodbc5.so (I'll try
and copy it here anyway and see does it work)*
Description=auditor
SERVER=moran.anam.com
PORT=3306
USER=Administrator