[unixODBC-support] how to connect to oracle xe?

GianLuca Sarto glsarto at tiscali.it
Tue Dec 29 10:58:39 GMT 2009

Nick,

thanks for your kind reply.

I am not sure I fully understood the Oracle ReadME, but I managed to
install the driver.

Well, almost...

ODBCConfig crashes when I try to configure the driver:
gian at hp-gls:/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2$ sudo ODBCConfig
ODBCConfig: libltdl/ltdl.c:1178: try_dlopen: Assertion `filename &&
*filename' failed.
Aborted

This is what I've done:

1. ensured that instant client was setup:
gian at hp-gls:/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2$ ./sqlplus
user/pwd@//192.168.1.126:1521/XE

2. make script executable:
gian at hp-gls:/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2$ sudo chmod a+x
odbc_update_ini.sh

3. run script:
gian at hp-gls:/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2$ sudo ./odbc_update_ini.sh /

4. content of odbc.ini
gian at hp-gls:/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2$ cat /etc/odbc.ini
[oracle]
Driver        = /usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2/libsqora.so.10.1
Database    = //192.168.1.126:1521/XE
User        = user
Password    = pwd

5. content of odbcinst.ini
gian at hp-gls:/usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2$ cat /etc/odbcinst.ini
[Oracle 10g ODBC driver]
Description     = Oracle ODBC driver for Oracle 10g
Driver          = /usr/lib/oracle/instantclient_10_2/libsqora.so.10.1
Setup           =
FileUsage       =
CPTimeout       =
CPReuse         =