[unixODBC-support] RedHat Shrike, GLIBC 2.3.2, and Oracle

Alan J Batsford AJBatsford at uss.com
Fri Dec 4 16:24:20 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to use unixODBC 2.2.14 on Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike) to connect
with a remote Oracle XE database. I have done this successfully on
different Linux distros before. I'm using oracle's latest instant client
and odbc drivers, and when I try to connect I receive the following error
in the log:

[ODBC][31798][1259874041.281054][SQLConnect.c][1063]Can't open lib
'/usr/lib/libsqora.so.11.1' : /usr/lib/libclntsh.so.11.1: symbol
semtimedop, version GLIBC_2.3.3 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link
time reference

Admittedly this machine has GLIBC 2.3.2. However I was successful in doing
the same thing on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon). That
machine also has GLIBC 2.3.2, and the latest unixODBC and oracle drivers
work just fine. It makes me think that the GLIBC version isn't the true
culprit.

-Alan