[unixODBC-support] odbc.ini file got truncated

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Thu Dec 3 09:44:10 GMT 2009

Tamanna wrote:
> Hi Nick
>
> The release notes I had copied earlier on this thread were taken from a site
> (site link : http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=310102
> ) and these are unixodbc-2.2.11 release notes . As told earlier also, I am
> using unixodbc-2.2.11-2 and not unixodbc-2.2.11. The source code for
> unixodbc-2.2.11-2 , that I have, has a file named unixODBC.spec which has
> all the changelog. But this file don't have any mention for "Fix problem
> where ini files could be truncated under heavy load".
>
> I don't know if the problem occur under heavy load or not. I just saw an
> empty /etc/unixODBC/odbc.ini file . But nobody had touched that file. So I
> am assuming that this was done by odbc only when file handle limit was
> reached.
>
> I am using psqlodbc-08.03.0200-nx2 driver and it does use libodbcinst .
>
> One more thing, I am assuming that unixodbc-2.2.11-2 is higher version than
> unixodbc-2.2.11 . So all the fixes in unixodbc-2.2.11 should also be
> available in  unixodbc-2.2.11-2. Please let me know if thats not the case
>
> Thanks...
> Tamanna

Thats the problem I just don't know. what you have will have been built
by a packager for a distribution, it may have taken released source, or
it may have taken the source before it was released. I would expect its
later, but I can't say for certain. But either way its several years old
now. I have had a more recient report of truncated files, but nothing
else. If I had a easy fix I would suggest it. But I do know that its not
that common, so if its a unixODBC problem it will need luck and lots
more reports to try and track it down :-(

The simple fix for you should be to make the file read only to any user
that will be running unixODBC.