[unixODBC-support] Connecting to MS SQL Server from Mac OS 10.5.6

lists at mgreg.com lists at mgreg.com
Fri Apr 10 17:09:24 BST 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Nick Gorham wrote:

> lists at mgreg.com wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm a bit confused as to how exactly to use unixODBC.  Basically,
>> I've got it installed (sans GUI) on Mac OS 10.5.6 Intel.  What I
>> can't figure out is how to acquire and install drivers for MS SQL
>> Server.  Do they exist natively?  I see that the JDBC drivers exist
>> freely (on the Microsoft site), but are there no economical (i.e.
>> free) ODBC counterparts anywhere?
>>
>> I also see conflicting documentation regarding whether or not
>> unixODBC ships with or without ODBC drivers and the actual capacity
>> in which it is to actually serve.  Can someone shed some light (in
>> 10 words or less) on how to use unixODBC to connect to an MS SQL
>> Server?
>>
> You need to add a driver, best free choice I would guess for the Mac
> is to have a look at freetds.
>
> --
> Nick

I've actually seen FreeTDS, but it doesn't look like it has anything
to do with ODBC.  It appears to use a different mechanism altogether.
Basically, I need to use ODBC tools and I was hoping that unixODBC was
the key.  If all else fails, I'll just purchase one, but I was hoping
to be able to roll out an open source solution for this particular
project.

Thanks for the reply,
Michael