[unixODBC-support] isql won't accept multiple SQL statements in a single call ?

Maxim Veksler maxim.veksler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 17:47:22 GMT 2008

Hello list,

I'm trying to use isql in a "cat | isql" manner to populate our
database scheme, I'm failing to understand why the following does not
work.

isql is called as follows : """cat mysql_files/config_scheme.sql |
isql -b myodbc5-ml ml dbAppPassword"""

"""cat mysql_files/config_scheme.sql

-- MySQL dump 10.11
--
-- Host: localhost    Database: ml
-- ------------------------------------------------------

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
/*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;
/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE='+00:00' */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS,
FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE='NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO' */;
/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;

--
-- Table structure for table `cfg_compo_module`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `cfg_compo_module`;
CREATE TABLE `cfg_compo_module` (   `COMP_MODULE_ID` int(11) NOT NULL,

--
-- Table structure for table `cfg_components`
--

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `cfg_components`;
CREATE TABLE `cfg_components` (   `COMP_ID` int(11) NOT NULL,

If I run each statement in the file separately, it works flawlessly,
but running them one after the other the script fails and no db
modifications are performed.
Please note that if I run the same script with mysql command line
utility the operation is successful.

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Maxim.