[unixODBC-support] Cannot find /nfs/dist/trp/perl/perl_aix/unixODBC.aix/lib/libodbcinst.a(libodbcinst.so.1)

Putnam, Denis Denis_Putnam at troweprice.com
Mon Jul 21 16:00:14 BST 2008

Hello Support,

I have built unixODBC and freetds on one of our AIX hosts into an nfs
mounted directory and I was wondering if you could provide me with some
information about an error that I am getting.

Below is the output of "ldd libtdsodbc.so.0" on the host that the
unixODBC and freetds have been built on where everything works fine:

ldd libtdsodbc.so.0
libtdsodbc.so.0 needs:
         /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_xpg5.o)

/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0/4.0.0/libgcc_s.a(shr.o)

/nfs/dist/trp/perl/perl_aix/unixODBC.aix/lib/libodbcinst.a(libodbcinst.s
o.1)
         /unix
         /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_comm.o)
         /usr/lib/libdl.a(shr.o)

Below is the output of "ldd libtdsodbc.so.0" on the host that unixODBC
and freetds have NOT been built on but it can see the nfs mounted
directories where the above one was built:

ldd libtdsodbc.so.0
libtdsodbc.so.0 needs:
         /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_xpg5.o)
Cannot find
/nfs/dist/trp/perl/perl_aix/unixODBC.aix/lib/libodbcinst.a(libodbcinst.s
o.1)
         /unix
         /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
         /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_comm.o)
         /usr/lib/libdl.a(shr.o)

As you can see, it cannot find the
/nfs/dist/trp/perl/perl_aix/unixODBC.aix/lib/libodbcinst.a(libodbcinst.s
o.1) library and the
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0/4.0.0/libgcc_s.a(shr.o)
library isn't referenced.

It appears as if the libgcc is needed to properly load the
libodbcinst.so.1 library.  Since the gcc compiler is not available on
the non-built host, can you tell me if there is something I can do to
get the libodbcinst.so.1 library to load without the
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.2.0.0/4.0.0/libgcc_s.a(shr.o)
library?  Perhaps it has something to do with the LIBPATH or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH that I can set?

Sincerely,
Denis Putnam

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.