[unixODBC-support] Character limit using select query?

Alexander Medina medina.alexander at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 21:26:01 BST 2008

Hi Everyone;
I have a pretty basic issue:

My setup is that I am using unixODBC with freetds and psql drivers to
interact with two different databases (SQL Server, and PostgreSQL).
 Occasionally one of the fields I run a select query on is sometimes over
1000 characters, and the query will not return any values.  I can run the
query via other means such as a database manager and successfully return the
values, just not using the unixodbc connection.  I have tested using the
isql program, and still receive the same issue.   The same query works fine
when the values aren't as long.

Essentially I would have a cron job running a perl script executing this
query, utilizing unixODBC.  Are there known issues with character limits on
returned select queries?  If so, is there a setting to change or other
solution?  If there are no known issues, any ideas out there on what could
be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Alex Medina