[unixODBC-support] Using unixODBC + TimesTen

Jeff Martin JMartin at telecomsys.com
Tue Jan 29 17:03:42 GMT 2008

We use TimesTen (TT).

As Nick already pointed out, your odbc.ini on B is missing the Driver=
line.  What Nick doesn't know (since he's not a TT guy) is that from the
B side you need to specify the TT client-server driver, not the TT
in-memory driver.  So your Driver= line on B needs to look something
like this:

[dbtest1_malta]
DRIVER=/opt/TimesTen/tt70/lib/libttclient.so
TTC_SERVER=192.168.10.61
TTC_SERVER_DSN=dbtest1
TTC_TIMEOUT=300
UID=csepulve
PWD=csepulve

I recommend going to TimesTen for support.  They have many customers who
use unixODBC, and are familiar with some of the stumbling blocks.
Whereas most unixODBC users on this forum have barely heard of TimesTen.

One other thing to be aware of is that unlike most other databases, the
TimesTen drivers can be used by applications without a driver manager.
The TT drivers can directly read an odbc.ini file, but they don't need a
Driver= line when running without a driver manager.  So when you read TT
documentation and examples, they usually leave out the Driver= line
because the TT docs usually assume you are not running with a driver
manager.

> I don't known if odbc.ini file can't be found (I tested with
> many different paths) or the format is wrong.

In this particular case, I think it will be the missing Driver= line.
But there is one other possibility.  I strongly suspect that even when
the TT driver is running "under" a driver manager, the TT driver still
searches directly for the odbc.ini file, rather than letting the driver
manager find the setting for the TT driver.

Here is the search path order used by the unixODBC driver manager:

    $ODBCINI
    $HOME/.odbc.ini
    $ODBCSYSINI/odbc.ini
    /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini

    (Note:  The location of the last entry can be changed when
    you configure/build unixODBC, using the --sysconfdir option for
configure.
    The value shown above is the "default" value unless you explicitly
    use --sysconfdir during configure.

Here is the search path order used by the TimesTen drivers when you are
not using a driver manager.  This is also the only search path used by
the TT utilities (like ttAdmin, ttBackup, etc), because those utilities
never use a driver manager.

    $ODBCINI
    $HOME/.odbc.ini
    $SYSODBCINI
    /var/TimesTen/sys.odbc.ini

To help prevent conflicts & confusion, we have
/var/TimesTen/sys.odbc.ini as the "real" file, then we set up
/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini to be a symlink to that file (or you could do it
the other way).  Also, we never set $ODBCSYSINI (used by unixODBC) nor
$SYSODBCINI (used by TT) because these can interfere with each other.

As I said earlier, if you are still having difficulties, try TimesTen
tech support.