[unixODBC-support] how to compile unixODBC with the iconv library

Yu-Hui Jin yuhui.jin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 19:36:36 GMT 2008

Hi, there,

I found there seems to be an iconv library installed along with ruby
binaries on my Linux box:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux/iconv.so

The unixODBC's configure --help says by default --enable-iconv will be
turned on.  I'm curious how I can know whether the iconv lib is found and
used by unixODBC's configure command.

Another question is I see there are three related params for configure
command.  Do i have to add the --with-iconv-ucode-enc=enc  to configure as
well to enable iconv usage by unixODBC.

  --enable-iconv          build with iconv support default=yes
  --with-iconv-char-enc=enc   Encoding to use as ASCII default=auto-search
  --with-iconv-ucode-enc=enc  Encoding to use as UNICODE default=auto-search

It'll be great if you would point me to the right documentation on this.

thanks,

Yuhui