[unixODBC-support] [NewBee] ODBC Optimization

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue Dec 9 11:14:47 GMT 2008

Siddeswar Reddy wrote:

>Hi Nick,
>        thanks for the quick reply. I dont have the sample code with me
>right now. I will share it with you as soon as possible. I have used the
>following functions in my sample code.
>
>SQLAllocHandle
>SQLPrepare
>SQLExecute
>SQLExecDirect
>
> SQLPrepare, SQLExecute functions are used when executing the same query
>multiple times.
>
>For example insertion or updation of multiple records.
>
>I have also used transaction when dealing with multiple records
>
>SQLExecDirect function is used to execute a query single time.
>
>I am actually looking at optimizing the odbc driver for SQLite and driver
>manager where ever possible to improve the performance rather than
>optimizing the aplication (assuming that the application is optmized).
>
>regards,
>Siddeswar.

Ok, well, then I doubt you will find much to optimise in the driver
manager, and you will need to talk to the driver maintainers about any
changes you want to make there. But in my experence what makes ODBC fast
or slow is how you use it. Preparing statements, using parameters, using
multiple rows at once, all these can help things.

You might have a read of this
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_odbc_bridge/performance_white_paper.html
its aimed at a particular driver, but also contains some good generic
ODBC performance tips.