[unixODBC-support] Cant's select columns with umlaute

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Tue Dec 9 09:42:04 GMT 2008

Michael Schodra wrote:

>Thanks Nick, I will do.
>Just to be sure: The problem with umlaute (german language ä,ü,ß) can not be solved by unixodb configuration? There are no known problems?

Well, without seeing what your code is doing its hard to say, the driver
manager is only involved if you call W functions to a driver that
doesn't support them, or non W to a driver that only supports them. If
you are using Oracles gateway, I know there are some (IMHO) "broken"
versions that pass UTF-8 into the W functions, but that would fail with
any query. I suspect its passing UTF-8 into the ansi functions and
freetds needs to be lold how to convert that to SQL Server UTC-2. At
least thats what our (Easysoft's) driver does at that point.