[unixODBC-support] odbc question from a noob

Stein, Howard Howard.Stein at FMR.COM
Thu Oct 18 16:19:34 BST 2007


try odbcinst -j and make sure your using the correct ini files.  If your
version of odbcinst does not support -j then go into the ini file you
think is the correct one and change the "good dsn name" to something
different.  Then try connecting with the new dsn name.  If you get an
error you are in the wrong ini file most likely.


  _____  

	From: unixodbc-support-bounces at easysoft.com
[mailto:unixodbc-support-bounces at easysoft.com] On Behalf Of
Tschida,Joshua
	Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:42 AM
	To: unixodbc-support at easysoft.com
	Subject: [unixODBC-support] odbc question from a noob
	
	

	Greetings unixodbc support list.  I'm a new member here with a
bit of a problem and I am nearly out of ideas.    

	 

	I have a handful of Solaris 9 servers here configured with
FreeTDS and UnixODBC.  We use some Perl scripts to connect back to
various MS SQL servers using ODBC connections through these packages.
Everything currently setup works great, but I am trying to create a new
DSN and am failing miserably.  I know we have made changes to our
odbc.ini and freetds.conf files in the past and been successful, so I'm
not sure what the deal is here.

	 

	Both my odbc.ini and freetds.conf are located in /usr/local/etc.
We do not have any duplicates anywhere else on the server.

	I have attempted to edit them both manually, as well as with
odbcinst.  The changes appear to be identical.

	My new DSN is a nearly exact duplicate of a known working DSN,
simply changing the database it connects to.  

	 

	 

	My perl script is run from the command line, and returns the
following output.

	 

	DBI connect('dsnname','uername',...) failed:
[unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
(SQL-08001)(DBD: db_login/SQLConnect err=-1) at ./script.pl line 110

	cannot connect:  at ./mi_flush_db.pl line 110.

	 

	 

	To troubleshoot, I've tried using tsql and isql both.  Tsql
connects great when I enter the hostname of the database server as well
as the same credentials that I use with my script.  Isql fails though
when using the dsn name.  I have also been listening to traffic going to
the database server with snoop, and nothing is sent out when my failures
occur, so I know it's not the database server responding poorly.

	 

	isql -v dsnname username password

	[S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data
source

	[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

	 

	 

	 

	 

	Hopefully I haven't left out any important details above.  I'm
really at a loss for what I am missing here.  I've poured over a lot of
various forum threads and mailing list posts that Google returned and
nothing has really helped resolve this.  Though I have seen some similar
cases, but the submitters never really replied back with a solid answer
to what fixed it for them.   :-(

	 

	Thanks for any assistance.

	-Josh

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.unixodbc.org/pipermail/unixodbc-support/attachments/20071018/7402a307/attachment.html>


More information about the unixODBC-support mailing list