[unixODBC-support] odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini issues

CJoeB colleen.beamer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:56:25 BST 2007

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up and odbc connection from within Open Office to a
mysql database.  I've done this a dozen times before, but this time, I'm
having problems, perhaps due to an upgraded version of Open Office or
MySQL.  I'm using Gentoo Linux and had this working until about a month
or so ago when I hit a wrong button on my laptop which resulted in
corruption of my mbr and ergo, I ended up having to reinstall my system.

Anyway, I've always followed the guidelines in the document:
http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf

I followed this document again this time, but I'm getting the error
message as follows:

isql MySQL-home -v
[IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no
default driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

'home' is my database and for what it's worth, I can use the database
from within MySQL.

Below are my odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files:

[MySQL-home]
Description     = MySQL database home
Driver          = MySQL
Server          = localhost
Database        = home
Port            = 3306

[MySQL]
Description     = ODBC for MySQL
Driver          = /usr/lib/libmyodbc3.so
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcmyS.so
FileUsage       = 1

In Gentoo, both of these files are in /etc.  As you will note, the
relevant library files are in /usr/lib.  There is not libmyodbc.so in
/usr/lib, hence I used libmyodbc3.so which is a symlink to
/usr/lib/libmyodbc3-3.51.12.so

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here because as I said, I've had
this working before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Colleen