[unixODBC-support] Installing teradata driver

Martin J. Evans martin.evans at easysoft.com
Wed Nov 7 18:55:57 GMT 2007

Vadim Kutsyy wrote:
> Martin J. Evans wrote:
>> Vadim Kutsyy wrote:

>>> strace doesn't show that anything is missing.  But it does show that
>>> unixODBC is trying to access /etc/passwd, Is there a reason why unix
>>> ODBC needs /etc/passwd?
>> I would guess to try and find your home dir so it can locate user
>> DSNs. e.g. getuid to get your user ID, then look it up with getpwuid
>> to get your home directory and find any .odbc.ini files. If may be if
>> you set HOMEDIR in your environment unixODBC will ignore your uid but
>> I don't know for sure.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> _________
> That makes sense (HOMEDIR didn't change behavior).
>
> But I am back to trying to make Teradata driver work.  Any
> recommendations?
>
> Thanks,

As Nick said run strace and look at what isql is doing. The first point
to start at is your DSN (TDDB) in the odbc.ini file. It should name a
driver and that driver must exist in the odbcinst.ini file and that
entry will name a shared object to be loaded which is the terradata ODBC
driver. You should see an open call on that shared object in the strace
output - if you don't the DSN entry and odbcinst.ini file don't line up,
if you do, did the open on the shared object work? If it succeeds to
open the ODBC driver shared object it may depend on other shared objects
- can these be found. What happens if you run ldd on the terradata ODBC
driver shared object - do all the dependencies work?

You may find parts of
http://www.easysoft.com/developer/interfaces/odbc/linux.html useful.

Martin