[unixODBC-support] Problems to parameter unicode

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Fri Mar 9 11:34:23 GMT 2007

franck_vimond wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am setting an odbc connxion to an oracle database in a linux environment,
>using unixOdbc. I was able to set my datasource, to connect to it.
>
>I begin to have problems when I try to insert unicode characters. It seems that
>my query is always considered as ascii.
>Our configuration is
>- os : linux
>- driver manager : unixOdbc (version 2.2.11)
>- odbc driver : oracle
>- oracle client 10g
>- database oracle9 (al32utf8)
>
>Whatever I send through the odbc driver, ir seems to be considered as ascii.
>
>My second question is : is it possible to parameter the odbc log as utf8 ?
>
>I hope you may have some clues to help me in this problem
>
>regards

The odbc driver manager and tools doesn't know about utf8, in fact ODBC
itself has a problem with utf8, but whatever goes into the calls should
comeout the same as far as the driver is concerned.

I would check your oracle docs, thats where the conversions will be
going on. We have had the same issues with our (Easysoft) Oracle
drivers, and it normally down to your environment.