[unixODBC-support] 32 bit vs 64 bit and other fun things

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Sat Jun 16 08:49:44 BST 2007

HAS wrote:

>Hello, hopefully I can get some more education to solve some problems I'm
>having with unixODBC and Oracle.
>
>1) What are the difference(s) between 32 bit and 64 bit unixODBC?  Is it
>just a compile option, or is it conditional code depending on build, or any
>other differences not mentioned.

Some of the ARG types are changed. At the moment, SQLLEN i 32 bit on 64
bit platforms by default, that will change in the next release. But its
not the problem you are having.

>2) If you build 64 bit unixODBC can you use both 32 bit and 64 bit odbc
>drivers or only 64 bit?

Only the matching type. Thats a limit imposed by the OS, not us.

>3) Is there any situation where a 64 bit ODBC driver could be used with
>unixODBC compiled as 32 bit?

Not that I know of, you would need to use a bridge, or something like
MS's thunking layer

>4) This is probably more suited for an Oracle forum but if someone knows the
>answer, is the instant client 32 bit oracle driver able to work if the
>backend Oracle is 64 bit?

Should be able to, at least the oracle client can.