[unixODBC-support] Repost - Install questions

HAS howard.stein at fmr.com
Tue Jun 12 16:46:10 BST 2007

Sorry about the repost, but I posted the last one before my joining the group
was completed and the moderator never released it.

Please bear with the Unix clueless.  A lot of this is trying to understand,
not necessarily being thought of as good ideas, but I want to know what is
possible and what is not possible.

When you build unixODBC-2.2.12 and do make install, outside of all the files
it places in the various directories, does it do anything that would change
any system startup files, add any environment variables?

Same question if you use one of the packages from the unixodbc site to
install it.

If you didn't have access to root and you did the install and used the
--prefix to send the files to a directory you had access to, is it possible
to make it work?

If yes, what would you have to do?  I'm guessing add the installed lib dir
to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and the installed bin dir to the PATH.  Maybe set the
ODBCINI?  If this is possible please correct/add to remove to these three
items.

If no, if you have someone with root access install the package for 2.1.x is
an upgrade possible by deleting/replacing the files?

Thanks in advance for any insights.